Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Eye Candy and an Interview From Travis Bell

You may remember several months ago, I posted about a wedding we did in the West End Zone Club at Clemson. I got so many comments from that wedding that I wanted to post a few of the professional pictures that, Travis Bell, the photographer for the wedding sent me.

Travis did such a great job and was so easy to work with, that I thought my readers might want to learn a little more about him. So I asked for an interview and he graciously agreed.



Enjoy!

Tell me what makes your business special:

We are able to offer not only wedding photojournalism but also a sports-photography style coverage of an event. My background is in newspapers and magazines but I've also been covering weddings and college and pro sports since I was in my teens.

I've applied many of the techniques used in sports photography to weddings. My gift is capturing moments as they truly happen. I can't ask a wide receiver to go back and run a touchdown play again. I have to be ready and I use that same philosophy with wedding coverage.

The bride doesn't have to worry about being asked to pretend to do something or repeat anything. The moments are real.



How did you get started in this business?

When I was 14, my father, who was a professional still photographer, asked me if I'd like to start making some extra money shooting the video angle of weddings he was shooting. I worked with him for 10 years and during that time made the transition from video to stills. The second part of my career came while I was in college and the Spartanburg Herald-Journal newspaper gave me a chance to shoot assignments. That's where I picked up photojournalism.




What do you like best about your job?

I have a passion for capturing the real emotion that takes place. There's a lot of satisfaction knowing that couple's grandchildren will one day see these images that show the energy/emotion that took place on their grandparents' day. I also enjoy telling stories with images.


Tell us about your favorite wedding or event:

My favorite weddings have been ones where the bride knew how to relax and enjoy her day. It makes is so easy to photograph. I love weddings in The Lowcounrty on the water. There are so many opportunities for great images. I shoot college and pro sports as well and my favorite event of all time has to be the annual Clemson/Carolina football game. I've photographed NASCAR, the NFL, NBA and nothing comes close the pageantry and action from the Tigers and Gamecocks contest.



What are the questions a bride should ask when choosing a vendor in your field?

How much experience does he/she have? There are a lot of folks out there buying a digital camera/launching a website and calling themselves wedding photographers so experience/background is critical.

It's important to ask a photographer what they believe "wedding photojournalism" means. That's a hot phrase right now and some photographers don't understand the true meaning of it. Wedding photojournalism is quietly documenting real moments that will the story of the day. If it's posed, it's not photojournalism.

Ask to see a complete wedding.

If possible, bring your family with you when you meet your photographer. It's a great time for everyone to meet and you can get help from family members in helping decide on the right photographer.


What’s the hardest thing about your job?

The admin side of everything, paperwork, etc.

Anything else we should know?

I have a passion for being appreciative to those folks who choose me to photograph their wedding. I don't take for granted that someone is intrusting me to document their family history.




Thanks so much Travis !








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails